Friday, October 9, 2015

Decluttering is Life Changing!


Our Province Leadership Team has recently employed Mercedes Cunningham, a Healthcare Co-ordinator in the Irish Province. Her brief is to help improve the quality of care of each Brother in the Province. It challenges us to be willing to change personal practices so that life can be better for ourselves and others and begin to see again in a different way.

I have discovered that excessive clutter, physical disarray and dis-organisation in my daily life can often be a symptom and a cause of stress and tension and it can affect every facet of my life. Clutter can distract me, weigh me down, and in general may bring chaos into my life. I tend to be a hoarder of so many unnecessary bits and pieces. I believe by getting rid of some or all of these can create a new fresh space that is both healthy and life-giving.

In the Gospel, Jesus lived and travelled light. He also encourages us to do the same. He told his disciples; “Take nothing for the journey – no staff, no bag, no bread, no money, no extra tunic. Whatever house you enter, stay there until you leave that town. If people do not welcome you, shake the dust off your feet when you leave their town, as a testimony against them.” (Lk. 9: 3–6). So they set out and went from village to village, preaching the gospel and healing people everywhere.

We are encouraged to make more space for calm and quietness among the clutter of our lives. It is easy to say I will do it next week or next month. If you are a hoarder like me, now is the time to take steps to begin that clean up and clean out. The best way to tackle the decluttering of your home, your work space, your room and your life is to take one step at a time. Small steps will lead to big improvements that will be easier to maintain in the long run.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment