Tuesday, August 23, 2016

The Faith of our Olympians



Despite having her Olympic hopes dashed, Irish boxer Katie Taylor proved this week that her faith in God is unshakable. One of Ireland’s most prominent hopefuls – she was a surprise casualty after her defeat to Finland’s Mira Potkonen.

But, even obvious heartbreak in Rio di Janeiro couldn’t dampen Katie’s devout Christian faith. "Sometimes the plans you have in your heart aren’t God’s plans” an emotional Katie said in the aftermath of the bout, trying to come to terms of her shock defeat.

God is so great, it’s still a privilege and an honour to be here,” she said, going on to say: I just have to thank everyone for their support and prayers – I’m so humbled by that.”

Reflecting on the outcome she was in a philosophical mood. It’s been a very tough year. I’ve suffered a lot of losses this year, and it’s very, very hard to take – the Olympics is a dream for me.
I came in here prepared very well. I gave it my best shot; it just didn’t happen,” she said. Katie is one of a growing number of Olympians who have been vocal about their strong religious faith during the Rio Olympics.

Jamaica’s Usain Bolt, a practising Catholic who wears his faith on his sleeve, became the first athlete to win three Olympic 100m titles by picking up gold at the games. Usain embraced the Miraculous Medal he wears around his neck as he powered to victory.

U.S. athlete Simone Biles, who keeps her Rosary beads in her bag at all competitions has won the women’s all-round Olympic gold medal for Gymnastics.The 19-year-old gymnast revealed that she carried a white rosary in her gym bag. “My mum, Nellie, got me a rosary at church...I don’t use it to pray before a competition. I’ll pray normally to myself, but it’s there just in case.”
(Irish Catholic - Thursday, August 18)

No comments:

Post a Comment