Saturday, February 13, 2010

All in a day's work...

Installing a new printer in the community office in Dublin. Br Valerius gives me a hand.

I had great plans to do some work in the office this morning but when I sat down at the computer I noticed that the printer was on the blink. The cable pulling the cartridge had snapped.
.
It turns out it couldn't be repaired so a new one had to be bought. The whole experience took up the whole morning. So much for getting some work done!
.
But why am I telling you about my printer?
.
Here's why-
.
As a vocations director I meet regularly with men who want to talk about following a religious vocation.
.
After several meetings I often invite these men to spend some time in our community in Dublin to see what this life is like from the inside.
.
The men who come to these "live in" experiences often tell me that they are surprised to discover that we have to spend as much time as anyone else dealing with the nuisances of daily life- broken printers, leaking radiators, you name it...
.
You see there is sometimes an impression that religious life has none of the problems of ordinary life.
.
But religious life is no escape from the small stresses of ordinary living. This is no refuge from reality.

Being a Brother is an extraordinary vocation but it's important to remember that it is always lived in the midst of very ordinary, daily challenges!
If you're interested in talking about a religious vocation feel free to get in touch. Leave a comment or email me at prescall@eircom.net

No comments:

Post a Comment